Introduction: A healthy nation is always a wealthy nation. Therefore, it is necessary to put emphasis on sports.
One can think of a healthy mind only in a healthy body. Both physical and mental well being are the prerequisites of great achievements in man’s life.
History shows that young men who excelled in the field in sports could prove their worth in the battlefield as valiant soldiers in later life and get the laurels of victory.
What is sports? Sports is a category that covers numerous different activities. Many sports involve high degrees of physical activity (for instance, running or rugby) whilst others focus more on strategy and mental exertion (for example, chess is considered to be a sport).
Some types of sport involve playing in a team (such as football) whilst others do not (for example, running). Sports can be played for fun, or (as Olympic athletes do) at a professional level.
Necessity of sports: Sports have their great utility.
- Sports are the sources of recreation. They provide relief and a sense relaxation in a life of monotony of routine marked by miseries, hardships and hurdles.
- They instill or infuse a sportive spirit to take up the heavy burden of life in a lighter vein and not to think of life either as a tragedy or a comedy but as the ordinary business of living.
- It is very essential to maintain health and physical fitness.
- It encourages the growth of team-spirit.
- Sports and games bring about various methods of diversions.
Incorporating some sport into our lives is so important because it helps us to stay active and it connects us with other sport lovers across the world. Sports foster a real sense of community and they help us to achieve our personal best every time, no matter if we are just doing them for fun as amateurs or if we are professional athletes.
Outdoor games: Among the outdoor games football, volley, cricket, basket ball and tennis etc. are very popular all over the world. Recently, World Cup Football Games were the focal point of attention for all sports lovers.
Gold and Table Tennis are played in many parts of the world. The Olympic Games, held with an interval of 4 years, foster the sense of oneness and the true sportive spirit among nations.
Students: It is argued that sports should be made compulsory right from the primary classes and form a part of educational curriculum.
Children from their start must realize the utility of sports and games. Drills and other methods of physical fitness should be introduced from the beginning by well trained teachers and coaches.
Educational value of sports: The necessity of sports is felt to be so great in life that there is ample justification for them to be introduced in the schools compulsorily.
- Sports and games impart a sense of discipline, fellow-feeling and togetherness.
- They teach the value of time and how it is important to note how a minute, a fraction of a minute and even of second decides the fate of a young sportsman in the field of competition.
- With proper training in sports and games, students become active, sportive, dashing, daring and adventurous capable of meeting the challenges in future life.
- Sports and games are the right avenues to channelize the energy and vitality of students and make their leisure hours worthwhile.
- The spirit of competition is inculcated in most cases by sports and games.
- A forum is made available for physical fitness.
- The greatest educational value of the sports and games is to provide stimulation for study and for hard work.
Conclusion: It is not the sound and the fury that counts but effort in the right direction to make a mark. Keeping this in view, it is high time that we spot out our sports talents and provide all necessary facilities to train them properly so as to enable them to compete with world champions with no feelings of diffidence.
Edited with inputs from various contributors.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles
Essay On Importance of Sports in Our Daily Life because A healthy mind is a healthy body is the well known adage. Proverbs and sayings reveal the practical wisdom and long experience of the world. Without games and sports, our youngsters would develop into cowards and imbeciles. One of the most effective and time tested ways to ensure healthy growth of body and mind is to make students and young men and women should take active part in sports. The aim of education is all around development of the personality of the students and the future of the nation. Intellectual or mental power as well as manpower is equally important for the progress and development of the nation. Manpower means not merely the number of hands but also the powerful and healthy hands that can venture any task, challenge and odds. It is a pity that Pakistani players and sports people fare so badly in international sports and games events and return home with empty handed.
On the other hand, many countries like Japan, China, Korea etc have a good tally of gold, silver and bronze medals. It is the matter of national shame and reflects our weakness. It is mainly because there is no proper arrangement and encouragement for games and sports in schools and colleges. It really hurts our national pride and sentiment. The children should be caught and trained in different disciplines of games, athletics and sports.
Moreover, during physical exercises, activities, games and athletics the intake of oxygen is in abundance which promotes mental skills and physical growth. It keeps digestion in perfect order and there is a lot of stamina and vitality. Sports teach how to subordinate personal interests and ambitions that of the team. Players and sports people are far more disciplined, cheerful, optimistic, cooperative, accommodating and samaritan than others. Physical activities also provide an outlet for the surplus energy. Sports keep them away from violence, mischief, hooliganism and such other undesirable activities. But physical sports and activities should never be performed at the cost of studies and mental pursuits. A fair balance between the two is very important. In the final conclusion, we can say that the importance and significance of sports cannot be denied. So if any person wants to live a healthy life then he should perform different sports in his regular routine. Finally, we can say that sports and different physical activities plays a very important role.